Flickr Photostream

Pages

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Visit to Ghana

I touched down in Ghana and without missing a beat I headed out to see the natives.
During my visit, I was able to converse with some young women. One girl named Atta was 15 years old and since it was the middle of the day I inquired as to why she was not in school. She told me she was not in school because there was no money. She had come from her village to make money. Everyone here is an entrepreneur, everyone is selling something anywhere from bananas to water. It validates how our micro credit program would excel in Africa.

I also conversed with a 23 and 24 year old and asked if they were in college or school. They informed me that they had only finished secondary school, which in the United States is equivalent to Middle school. The reason for this was that there was no money to continue on to senior secondary school. In Ghana, the government offers free education through secondary education but a family begins paying at senior secondary. We need to teach the youth and families of the world to become independent and to strive on.

No comments:

Post a Comment