Flickr Photostream

Pages

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Ghana

Met with the USAID, their focus at this time is on education, they will be piloting a program that will utilize an e-reader to promote literacy!! In addition, I met with the President of Ghana, John Evans Atta Mills, to discuss what the focus of the government is and how the empowerment of women fits into everything. He is very keen on sustaining the economic stability of his people.
When meeting with the UNICEF, I found that their focus is on nutrition, and ensuring that mothers are aware that the first 1000 days are critical to the development of a child.
When I went out to rural villages and saw the hard work that goes into an "average day" I was amazed. Going to the closet well and pumping water and then carrying it back on your head to the home is a struggle in itself. On top of this, it is an average of 80 degrees and very humid, I couldn't imagine having to do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment